Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 07:58 AM   #14690 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I that the revamped version of Eight Mile High, where they turn it into a jam session?
^ Yes, that's right, a live jam: Untitled is one of those double albums that had a studio disc and a live disc, like Ummagumma, Wheels of Fire or Eat A Peach. For me, it's about the best album The Byrds ever made: more rock, less pop or country than usual.

Quote:
Well I know the Perfumed Garden show by name only. However I have listen to a few Peel Sessions. He was always a character I admired. Some of my favorite bands all unrelated music-wise had one thing in common: they appeared in one his broadcast sessions.
^ My older brother used to listen to John Peel's radio shows, so I grew up absorbing his musical choices. What with classical music and talk radio, there was a time in Britain when there was only one radio station dedicated to pop music and that station had just one dj who would play prog/rock music. That's why it was called "underground music": you could only hear it broadcast in public for a couple of hours a week, when a JP show was on. Consequently, JP had a huge and unique reputation among the "underground" music fraternity; he always played non-mainstream music, and his opinion could make or break a band, which meant that (i) bands were eager to play in one of his sessions and (ii) they always put on their best performance. So, as Psy-Fi noted once, any "Peel Session" recording is likely to be worth a listen.