Music Banter - View Single Post - Music Format Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 10:49 AM   #38 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

I agree 100% with the comments from the FLAC users. I always strive for archival quality, and size is really a non-issue in this day and age. Occasionally I'm unable to find lossless content and settle for 320CBR / V0 but I would love to be able to replace all my lossy files with FLAC. At ~165,000 tracks it's a daunting challenge, and some of the live and demo content was lossy to begin with. I'm working to replace the rest of my library one discography or record label at a time.

I have 750 CDs but downloaded most of them years ago. Similarly I've got several thousand LPs and a gorgeous Denon DP-60L rosewood turntable, but 90% of my listening is content from my server. A headphone or DAC upgrade will likely be my next move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MERIT] View Post
I need to get a new digital media player with a big storage bank for this one. Any suggestions are welcome.
My solution was to build an Ubuntu server paired with unlimited data on Android. I use Subsonic or the Ultrasonic fork which added gapless playback and genre browsing. If you have a data cap the application can downsample audio and video in real time to any desired bit rate. I average about 200GB of mobile data a month with it.

If you really want a dedicated piece of hardware, the Creative Zen X-Fi is hands-down the best value for solid state. It has a 32GB of internal storage, an expansion slot for additional files, and supports FLAC. I lived by it for many years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote