Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #1494 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Everywhere is Some Where
Artist: K. Flay
Genre: Electropop/Hip-Hop
Nationality: American
Release date: April 7
Position in Discography: Second
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 3.40
Pretty much any genre I've explored here and elsewhere has suffered from the same male bias, which women are slowly doing their very best to dismantle, and usually with varying degrees of success. Metal remains almost exclusively a male preserve, there are hardly any women in prog, and as for hip-hop? Well, I obviously am not qualified to talk in sweeping terms, knowing so little of the genre, but based on what I've listened to over the last three and more months, it;s been almost all male artists. I guess this is easy to understand, given the often boastful, forceful nature of the music and lyrics, generally – though not always – portrayed best by men who are, as we would say here, up themselves. So it's nice to see the odd occasion when a woman steps into the arena.

Unlike CupcaKKe, whom I encountered last month, K. Flay (real name Kristine Flaherty – now there's a hip-hop name!) does not posture and boast, from what I can hear here; she utilises a sort of pastiche of electronic music with her (pretty quiet and restrained) rap to form a fairly irresistible mixture that really makes you want to listen. “Blood in the Cup” is a track that stands out to me, with some powerful percussion, while “Champagne” really showcases her rap style with some pretty barebones backing. Really gets into this one, displaying some powerful emotion. The bassline in “Mean It” sounds very reminiscent of “Walk On the Wild Side” while ”Hollywood Forever” has a very Lana feel to it. “Just a Lot”, on the other hand, is very electropop with some new wavey ideas in there too. Very impressive, very varied; watch this lady.

Check out more from this artist? Yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: