Music Banter - View Single Post - A Personal Video Game Award Ceremony - Presented by Kiiii - (2017 - Whenever)
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Key

Dead Cells
Release Date: May 10, 2017

I know, I KNOW! I've probably beaten a few dead horses by now when I'm talking about Dead Cells, but I say that with a bit of a gleaming patch of confidence. Dead Cells is not only one of the most fun games I've played in 2017, but it's also potentially one of the absolute best roguelike games I have played in several years. The last time I had this much fun with a game was when the original Binding of Isaac was getting popular. We've had several great roguelike games before Dead Cells of course, but none of them quite scratch the surface of near perfection that this game thrives on.

From the minute I started playing this game months ago, I knew this was going to be a game that I would eventually put 55 total clocked hours into it. I'm quite surprised with how low that number looks to me, but I guess it's also because I live a busy schedule, so even to put 55 hours into one game with that kind of schedule is pretty amazing. I've not played it very often lately as I've been putting all my time into Slay The Spire, but Dead Cells will always be that game I fall back on when I just need to sit back and chill.

The game was in very early access when I played it for the first time, because that's when it started really getting popular. So I've seen the game from it's first day. To look at it now is pretty mind blowing, especially with all the great updates and changes they have already made. The developers seem to have this fiery passion within them to not ruin this game. They have been pushing updates out on a regular basis, and every single one single-handedly improves the game in some way. They've managed to get the controls so tight in this game that every single button you press is a life or death situation. It's pretty insane the amount of attention to detail that has gone into this early access game.

I know it's fairly obvious by now, but this game could potentially win Game of the Year in this little thread that I have dedicated to it. My game of the year for 2017 has changed so many times that it's still a fight between Dead Cells, Divinity Original Sin 2 and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In fact, I'd say those three are about tied for first place. Which is saying something about the quality of games that have come out this year.

Last thing I want to mention is the soundtrack to go along with this game. I've actually come to love this soundtrack so much that I even got a copy of it for myself on my phone so that I can listen to it in the mornings while I walk to work. Yeah, I know that sounds super nerdy and cheesy, but what can I do? The soundtrack just works in that way. Here's a sample:

And keep in mind, that's just for the first level of the game.

Last edited by Key; 01-12-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote