Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #1500 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Going to try to do this at the end of each week, as in, the week the albums are released, not every week. So in other words, there'll be a slot in the first, second, third and final week of each month. So we've reached April 7, making this the first time this month where we look back to the previous month and examine some of the albums you've recommended for March which were

Ped was first out of the traps last month, so it's to her first choice we turn to kick this off.

Album title: Kelly Lee Owens
Artist: Kelly Lee Owens
Suggested By: Paedentic Basterd
Genre: Synthpop/Techno
Nationality: English
Release date: March 24
Position in Discography: Debut
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 3.42
No problems so far; a very dreampop sound, with some nice electronic “soft” techno mixed in. She has a really nice voice, reminds me of yer wan from School of Seven Bells. Lovely orchestration (probably synthesised but no less lovely for that) on “Lucid” while “Evolution” has a really nice catchy rolling beat to it, with a totally muted vocal from Kelly – just one word? Then it kicks into slightly more uptempo techno (what's the difference between techno and trance anyway, can someone tell me?) which brings in a few more words, though not many. So far, I love this anyway.

“Bird” is a great little instrumental, and some great understated vocal work on “Throwing Lines”. Is it possible to merge shoegaze and techno? Technogaze? There seem to be elements of the former in here, vocally anyway. Well, that would be if I knew what I was talking about, which of course I don't. “Keep Walking” has a great dark atmosphere about it, kind of a trip-hop thing going on there, with what sounds like bees buzzing about too. The last track is nearly ten minutes long, and part of it sounds like there's a sitar being used (though there probably isn't) and it's totally perfect. Excellent album, good start for those not on the list.

Check out more from this artist? Yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: