Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #1501 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Watercolor
Artist: Porter Ray
Suggested By: Frownland
Genre: Hip-hop
Nationality: American
Release date: March 10
Position in Discography: Second
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? I think I heard one song previously
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 3.04
Love the atmospheric background when this starts, and the rap is very low-key and restrained, and the next song is the one I mentioned I heard above, “East Seattle”, which really impressed me. “Past Life” speeds things up and increases the intensity with some fine synth and powerful percussion. Call me ignorant, and I am, when it comes to hip-hop, but do they ever play their own music or is it always samples? Just wondering. Anyway, pretty good stuff so far. I wouldn't rate it as top material just yet – parts of it are slightly boring me – but “Arithmetic” is cool, though the bit at end is weird: sounds like an old gospel song played on a phonogaph or a wax cylinder or – oh, I see now. It's his wife (?) singing over the phone. Yeah, well, cute and all, but this kind of thing annoys me on hip-hop albums, viz, I don't care.

“Lightro (Looking For the Light)” is another good one, but I do find my attention wandering a little here. Nice sound to “My Mother's Words”, a very soul-ish backing I feel, and basically I'd say this is a good hip-hop album, but I wouldn't go mad about it and I wouldn't be too pushed about hearing more. Good for what it is though.

Check out more from this artist? No
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: