Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #1508 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Sight of Day
Artist: Mostly Autumn
Genre: Progressive Rock
Nationality: English
Release date: April 7
Position in Discography: Twelfth
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? Oh yes; intimately
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? Very much so
Average RYM Score: 3.44
How, you ask, can I estimate a rating so high before even hearing the album? I've never even attempted that before. Well, this is not only in my wheelhouse, it's my wheel. I've been a fan of Mostly Autumn for about fifteen years now; in fact, there was a time when I would literally listen to nothing else. I made a playlist of all their songs and had to actually force myself to stop listening to them, as I had so much else to listen to. I've loved every album they've put out, though I have lost touch a little with them. The last one I listened to properly was 2008's Glass Shadows, and if that date seems significant, you'll note that that is when I joined MB, after which I ended up being far more involved in reviews, journals and listening to so much music that I didn't really have the time any more to devote to one of my favourite bands.

But unless this is a major paradigm shift for them, I can already predict that I'm going to love this. If nothing else, it's an album I am, for once, totally looking forward to listening to and reviewing, and that I have really high hopes of being on my AOTY list. After the poor crop of the last few albums I've had to listen to, this is going to be a welcome respite. I'm sure the rest of you will hate it. So be it. I don't care. This is one brief moment in this whole thread where I can revert to who I used to be, and relax and just listen to a favourite band without worrying that they'll disappoint me. I am, when all is said and done, and always will be, first and foremost a prog head. I make no apologies for this.

Let me warn you, though, if you don't like prog rock you won't like the first track, running as it does for over fourteen minutes and going through many changes over the course of its run. I, of course, love it. As usual, there's a mixture of prog, folk and some good old rock here, with some fine ballads, such as “The Man Without a Name”, which allows Olivia Sparnenn-Josh to take vocal duties from normal frontman Bryan Josh, her husband. “Changing Lives” and “Only the Brave” are good examples of where the band rock out, kicking up the tempo nicely. They're not going to impress any metalheads, but it's a nice change. Another epic in “Native Spirit”, which runs for just over ten minutes, with some powerful orchestration, and I'd go so far as to say “Raindown” is one of the best ballads they've done since “Carpe Diem” off 2005's Storms Over Still Water, with added pathos as it comes in the wake of, and may be a tribute to, the passing of longtime member Liam Davison, who died last year. As expected, a superb album and a fine addition to their discography. Now all I need is to catch up on the last few albums!

Check out more from this artist? You know it
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Always

Actual Rating: