Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Release Me" by The Like
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 11:33 AM   #20 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

I don't like most straight up, hook oriented pop music and I don't like hardly any 50's and 60's pop groups. I'm not even very fond of straight forward rock music as a whole, and bands with a retro aesthetic tend to annoy me. So... cards kind of stacked against this group from the outset. A solid cocktail of several things I don't have manynice things to say about. Yikes.

The farty guitars sound bad to my ears and there's barely anything going on musically here. It's really all about the vocal melodies, but the singer comes off as somewhat shrill to me and it's all very simple and happy clappy. Reminds me ever so distantly of the first Lily Allen album, which I'd much rather be listening to instead.

By the time we reach the title track, I'm groaning from the imitations of retro styles I hate to begin with. Let crappy old pop music stay dead, please. Let's just say this isn't my kind of thing.

Of course I'm being a bit extra harsh just to play around a bit. I can see how this could be taken as just a bit of fun, but it just doesn't give me anything to hold on to at all. I'm going to have to vote "disliked it", since you can pretty much throw a dart and hit something I'd rather listen to.

EDIT: Narcissus in a Red Dress was almost allright.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote