Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #1528 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Dominion
Artist: Tech N9ne
Genre: Hip-hop
Nationality: American
Release date: April 7
Position in Discography: Eighteenth
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No; heard of him
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 2.44
Damn it, I hate reviewing albums through YouTube. Why isn't this on Spotify? Why? So annoying. Anyway, I hear this as more trap than hip-hop, if trap is what I've been told it is, viz, darker, slower more kind of menacing hip-hop? First track (after the intro) is anyway, for sure. Sorry: fo sho. “Casket Music” is more stripped-down and hardcore, while “Wheels Like Hill” just powers along with some great rhymes and rhythm. Yo. I don't, however, and probably never will, get the idea behind “skits”. Are they just there to pad out the album, or are they supposed to relate to something? Usually they're either phone calls, people talking or maybe excerpts from studio recording talk. They never mean anything to me, and they just come across as an annoyance, so I won't mention any here, though there are several.

“Reloaded” is another stripped-down effort, almost industrial in a way, and "The Answer" has a kind of reggae feel to it. Mind you, there are so many guests on this album it's literally impossible to get an idea of whether this Tech N9ne guy is any good or not. Too many cooks spoil the album, guys. Also too many tracks: twenty-four? It's all right but doesn't impress me as anything particularly special.

Check out more from this artist? Nah
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: