Music Banter - View Single Post - Rubber Soul's Top 25 Extravaganza (1955-2017)
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 04:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

Another abbreviated list but at least I have twenty this time. Aren’t you excited?

Event of the year: Elvis wiggles his hips
Fad: Greasy kids stuff
Babe of the Year: Kate Smith
Scandal of the Year: John Wayne and friends get radiation poisoning
Movie or TV show to barf to: The Conqueror (John Wayne as Genghis Khan)
What we could have done without: The nuclear arms race
Pet of the year: The Hound Dog Elvis had to sing to

Other Tidbits: The US still likes Ike and tolerates Dick. Everyone fears Elvis’ hips, Rock and Liz get hot and heavy in Giant, I Love Lucy doesn’t get cancelled yet, The Million Dollar Quartet breaks up, The Suez Canal is locked, John Wayne turns day-glo, Godzilla destroys Tokyo. Four out of Five doctors recommend Lucky Strikes, Ralph Nader claims candy cigarettes are bad for your health.

But enough of this trivia. The top twenty albums of 1956 (and number one is a real surprise.)

1) Moondog- Moondog
2) Odetta- Odetta Sings Ballads and Blues
3) Johnny Burnette- Johnny Burnette and the Rock n Roll Trio
4) Elvis Presley- Elvis Presley
5) The Modern Jazz Quartet- Fontessa
6) Sonny Rollins- Saxophone Collosus
7) Thelonious Monk- Brilliant Corners
8) Billie Holiday- Lady Sings the Blues
9) Moondog- More Moondog
10) Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers- The Jazz Messengers
11) Elvis Presley- Elvis
12) Sonny Rollins- Plus 4
13) Charles Mingus- Pithcantropus Erectus
14) Gene Vincent and the Blue Cats- Bluejean Bop
15) Duke Ellington- Ellington at Newport
16) Julie London- Lonely Girl
17) Frank Sinatra- Songs For Swingin Lovers
18) Harry Belafonte- Calypso
19) Fats Domino- This Is Fats Domino
20) Julie London- Calendar Girl

I will mention Moondog as my biggest surprise but this is a year for surprises. There still isn’t a lot to choose from this year but the albums at the top are a considerable improvement from 1955. Take Odetta. I’ve heard of her legend but until this project I didn’t hear a lot of her songs. Her Ballads and Blues, well, I can see how she could have influenced Dylan among others. Johnny Burnette scores with my favorite Rock n Roll album of the year and I’ve always liked Elvis’ debut. His second album isn’t so bad either. The list tails off a bit after Elvis’ second entry but Gene Vincent does sneak in there at number fourteen. As for Julie London, I will say she looks sexy on the album covers.

Biggest Surprise- Moondog.

It is one of the most brilliantly unusual albums I’ve ever heard- and we’re talking 1956

Biggest Disappointment- Charles Mingus- Pithcantropus Erectus.

He’ll get better, but I guess I was expecting Black Sinner even this early.

Stinker of the Year- The Louvin Brothers- The Tragic Songs of Life.

Okay, it starts out with Kentucky. Yeah there is something tragic about Kentucky all right. I guess Alabama must be a tragic place too. A horrible rendition of In the Pines and then more cheerful songs about tragedy. Don’t miss My Brother’s Will

Okay so make sure you come back next week for my first actually first twenty-five. See you then.

Last edited by rubber soul; 01-11-2018 at 05:50 AM.