Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Classics: The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 10:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

I begin this review the fourth song in and I find the album annoying as **** so far. I can't believe I would say that any band from Manchester, or any band Post-Punk or one that did a Peel Session.

I never heard an album by The Fall all the way through till now. I at least heard one or two songs by them and was never impressed to hear anything more by them. So this is the first time for The Fall really. The song L.A. reminds me of Little Dune Buggy by The Presidents of the United States, actually vice a versa since the former was released first. However PUSA had the better tune. The Fall desecrated Gene Vincent's "Rollin' Danny." I was so appalled by what I heard I had to skip that song halfway through. Back to the ol' grind with the next song. Oh wait, I found out I was listening to Expanded Edition so I guess I can stop the torture now. Man how I wish that I realized that earlier.

At times this band is somewhere between U2, The Modern Lovers, Gang of Four, X, and Velvet Underground. For the most part the album is done in the style of Post-Punk but has certain elements that remind me of what was happening around the same time or even earlier like the Dunedin Sound (NZ), Cow-Punk (L.A.) NDW, and experimental stuff mix in as well. So my opinion doesn't come down to them to being unoriginal in anything they did on this album. So I am not faulting The Fall for doing that. It's practically inevitable that bands imitates a band or a sound, or even a singing style that preceded them. I listen to plenty of revival bands that borrow heavily from bands that were out years before. I see the album in its totally as a patchwork of styles that is stitched together with this annoying quality that runs throughout the album and basically ruins it for me.

I wasn't a fan of The Fall before and listening to this album didn't really change my mind on that account. This album had no saving grace.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote