Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #1535 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: WYW
Artist: Wear Your Wounds
Genre: Post-Rock
Nationality: American
Release date: April 7
Position in Discography: Debut
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No but I've heard Converge
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? A decent bit yes
Average RYM Score: 3.27
Now this could be an interesting one. Solo project by the vocalist and frontman for Converge. I like a lot of post-rock, but I don't like metalcore, so this could go either way. Okay well I know he's a singer but I have to say the first song doesn't totally impress me, whereas the second, with no vocals, and the third, with very faint and low-key ones, do. “Hard Road to Heaven” is kind of like a slow doomy piano, almost on its own, very ominous and dark, whereas “Cry of Your Life” is the closest I guess this comes to the metalcore of Bannon's parent band, with some fine guitar from Kurt Ballou. “Breaking Point” is particularly great too, really powerful and emotional, as its title would suggest. Back to the piano then for “Shine”, with a barely discernible vocal. I guess, for a guy who screams his head off with Converge, this is a major change, and it's good to see he can embrace such a shift in his vocal prowess. It works very well. I'm no fan of Converge, but I really like this. I like it a lot.

I did think – and I could of course be wrong here – that post-rock was exclusively instrumental, and I wonder is this actual post-rock? Though the music certainly sounds like what I would expect from that genre. The vocal, when it's used – and it's not that often to be fair – is low and indistinct enough almost not to be there at times, so I guess that's almost instrumental anyway. Either way, I really enjoyed this album. Not sure if fans of Converge will like it, but I did.

Check out more from this artist? Yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: