Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Classics: The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 05:40 PM   #35 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
I'm thinking it's down to what I tend to focus on the most when I listen to music. There has got to be a way to explain any given person's taste in music without actually mentioning any genres or instruments. Or perhaps rather; explain a person's "musical sensibilities" or however you would put it.

I think I focus a lot more on harmonic and melodic interplay than most people do - especially when it comes to harmony. I'm relatively less about rhythm and texture and barely pay attention to lyrics at all. It makes sense that I'm seemingly slowly getting more and more interested in classical music, jazz and world music, while caring very little about most flavors of rock. Post punk is usually pretty harmonically repetitive and melodically simplistic - which isn't really criticism but simply means that the genre puts it's focus elsewhere.

Not that I'm sure how to explain my musical tastes in this way, but it's something that I've been thinking about now and again. I guess I find it interesting.

That's enough rambling for now. Tl;dr - I don't think I've got anything against post punk in particular, it's just that it maybe doesn't play so much to the elements of music that speak to me the most.
I know that you like the weird and wild side of Kate Bush (Violin, Waking the Witch, Get Out of My House, etc.), and a lot of Post Punk isn't so far off from that, so I'm guessing that if you explore the genre more you'll find at least few bands that click with you.

If you ever want any more recs, feel free to give me a holler.
-----------------------------
|---Deafbox Industries---|
-----------------------------
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote