Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Classics: The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 05:27 AM   #60 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I wasn't a fan of The Fall before and listening to this album didn't really change my mind on that account. This album had no saving grace.
^ That's a neat line to end your review with!

Like someone else who posted here, I am also new to The Fall. I'm intrigued by their reputation and their song titles, but so far have been disappointed by what I hear. Like MicShazam, I find the vocalist's style annoying. Also the repetition:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunmouthGrace View Post
We dig repetition in the music
And we're never going to lose it

Well that certainly explains it
^ It's pretty cool if the band put this in one of their songs, but it doesn't negate the fact that repetition is usually pretty boring for the listener and gives the bad impression that the artist's ideas have run out before his studio time has - or he is cynically padding out scant material to make it album length.

I haven't played the album, just the tracks elphenor posted, but with all of them I came away dissatisfied. It seems to me as if they all needed something extra to hold my interesting; a bit of musical development or another instrument breaking out with some solo noodling on top.

One day I might take up OH's recommendation, but so far The Fall have left me with the same feeling that TechnicLePanther describes so precisely:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I’ve mentioned this before but there’s no shame in the 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong compilation
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicLePanther View Post
Maybe I'll relisten to Hex Enduction Hour at some point and hear something I really like and get into them but for now it's not something I'd explore without some coercion.