Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #20864 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post

Just watched La La Land. Pretty bummed that I missed it in the theaters, as it's a damn gorgeous movie. The music wasn't half bad. It's rare that I wish a musical would have more songs, but that's pretty much the case with this movie.

Interestingly bittersweet, somewhat unsatisfying ending. I mean, a good, interesting ending, but brave in that it doesn't give you that easy, nice Hollywood wrap up that you'd expect it to give you. So it's not entirely a feel good movie, although it ends up being so anyway by virtue of it's rich soundtrack and wildly creative and colorful visuals.

There was a very short moment near the end where the actors basically walk inside a set that looks like an impressionist painting. I couldn't help but feel disappointed they hadn't done the whole movie in that style. It would have been something truly special.

Anyway, very good movie. Ryan Gosling has a bit more range than I thought he did. Turns out he can do more than just brood.

And of course Emma Stone was good. I'll watch almost any movie as long as she's in it.
Loved La La Land. I love how they gave so much time to actors who couldn't sing. It made their songs feel so much more intimate than if sung by Broadway veterans. It was like real people were just singing to express their feelings because god damn it they wanted to express their feelings. And even the dance numbers were the same. It's not an approach that would work in general, but in this case was brilliant.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote