Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Classics: The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 02:26 AM   #84 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Well I really have no I idea what Geritol is, so that is another contributing factor why I didn't find it funny. I always imagine it as 20th century snake oil, but I am really not sure.

OK now I am laughing at your jokes, that was pretty good one. I agree Canada should be proud cause Guess Who and Rush are really great bands.

I haven't gone through Guess Who albums tbh, but they have one of the finest greatest hits albums of all time, and not to mention they have some of the best Jazz chords in Rock n Roll history. I really have "mad respect" for the musicians in Rush. I also like Joni Mitchell, The Sugar Shoppe, and Crystal Castles - they are really good too.

Another really great Canadian singer besides Celine Dion who could go without mentioning cause everyone just raves about her was Ronnie Hawkins. He was equal to Elvis Presley. I've heard he was known as the Canadian Elvis. Ronnie Hawkins gather the best musicians he could find. They is a whole long story to it, but in short his backing band The Hawks went on latter to become The Band. Your "Mr. Geritol drinker" was actually the keyboard player in The Band. Garth was both band mate and mentor.

I'll pass on the Hockey or Politics comments. This here thread is about The Fall, and I really shouldn't comment on all that other stuff.

Yeah, I was thinking about Canadian bands (Rush and the Guess Who were the ones that came to my head) and I remembered that Steppenwolf was Canadian and so is Neil Young. I honestly didn't know that the Call was Canadian when I made that crack (Geritol was a multi-vitamin they used to hawk to older people btw). Again, I didn't mean to offend.

And, yeah, the Guess Who did make some nice albums around 1969 and 1970 and weren't bad when they were backing Chad Allen in the sixties either. I'm sure people here might be familiar with the Guess Who's cover of Shakin All Over from 1965.

Rush, I couldn't get as much into even though I did see them live in 1981. I do like much of their earlier material, especially their first album, and I'm glad they got in the Hall of Fame, and got to introduce Yes last year.

I think you have to be a real Band fan to appreciate Ronnie Hawkins. I know a bit about the band's history with both him and, of course, Bob Dylan. I haven't heard a lot of Ronnie Hawkins but I was impressed with the little bit I did hear.

Anyhow, yeah, Canada does have a lot to be proud of. And don't feel too bad if you think Canada is underrated. Baltimore only recently got some love with groups like Beach House and Animal Collective. Before that, they were probably best known for a couple R&B groups and Half Japanese (Frank Zappa was born here but he was essentially raised in California).

Speaking of Canadian bands (and maybe I should post this somewhere else), I have a great album from the Collectors. I stumbled upon the album in a used record store and I love songs like What is Love and Lydia Purple. Great psychedelic band (not very heavy though for those that are curious).
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote