Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 12:13 PM   #1554 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Hamartia
Artist: Novembers Doom
Genre: Progressive Metal/Gothic Metal/Death-Doom Metal
Nationality: American
Release date: April 14
Position in Discography: Tenth
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? Yes
Average RYM Score: 3.22
For those of you asking for metal albums to be reviewed, I have no control over what the list gives me (I am its puppet) but here it's been kind and we have an American metal band, so enjoy. The vocalist is a little growly for my tastes, but not unintelligible and I really like the interplay between death metal (a little) doom metal and prog metal. First track is pretty rad anyway. “Ghost” has very much a doom aspect to it, with a much more discernible vocal, and “Ever After” goes through some interesting changes, also allowing the guitarist to show off his chops. Good stuff so far. The title track shows the progressive metal side of the band, with what appears to be a dark ballad, mostly on piano and very very impressive.

They get rocking again then with “Apostasy” and it's epic. Think I may end up really getting into this band, they're quite versatile for what they do and I haven't disliked a single track yet. “Zephyr” is another powerful punching doom-er with some clean vocals and some very proggy tones to it also, and the album closes really strongly. Enjoyed that a lot.

Check out more from this artist? Yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: