Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 01:45 PM   #1556 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Back to the Basics
Artist: Rich Homie Quan
Genre: Hip-hop
Nationality: American
Release date: April 14
Position in Discography: Eighth
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 2.86
Now this is more like it. The moment this kicks off I like it. This guy can rap, unlike our friend Carti(er) previously, and this draws you in, whereas the other one pushed me right away and kept me at arm's length till I eventually decided I'd had enough. This is leagues ahead of him. I don't know what the American equivalent is, but fill in your own analogy, but for us on this side of the pond, it's the difference between Bishop Stortford and Manchester City. Guess who's which? “Heart Cold” is a ****ing amazing song, and it's followed by another one in “Back End”, and “Word of Mouth” has very trap styles (shut it, TH: you know nothing about hip-hop you big fraud!) and is another great song.

I also give the guy props for not overstuffing his album – well, mixtape. Eleven tracks only; very manageable, although to be honest, with this kind of quality I would probably listen to more anyway, but it does help move things along. Perhaps it's the difference between someone who has eight albums under his belt and one who is just starting out, though I've heard better debuts by far than Playboi Carti, and I see too that he's part of some collective (ASAP gang or something) so maybe he has/should have more experience than it might appear. Anyway, he's **** and this guy is not. World of difference. “Replay” is ****ing amazing, as is pretty much all of this album. Word.

Check out more from this artist? Yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: