Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #1589 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Antiphon
Artist: Alfa Mist
Recommended by: Frownland
Genre: Hip-hop/Jazz/Soul
Nationality: American
Release date: March 3 (Just goes to show: Discogs have it as a June release! )
Position in Discography: Debut
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 3.28
This is super smooth and super cool when it starts. Talk about laid back! I assume I'll end up regretting saying this, as no doubt the rest of the album will be mad horns in my face or something “experimental” (read, something I'll hate/not understand) but this opener is over ten minutes long and it could be twice the length and still not long enough. This is just beautiful stuff. Even if the rest of the album sucks for me, this one track will have been worth listening to it for. Some sweet bass work on this near the end too, really stands out, and the percussion is, um, awesome. Just perfect really.

Well, the second track is just as good, though in a different way. Kind of spoken word/rap over some really nice guitar with a sweet solo thrown in for good measure. Lovely female vocal on the fourth track, and I must be honest: there's nothing here I haven't loved so far. Wonderful piano outro with orchestral backing. The rap and the jazz really merge perfectly on “7th October”, and I like the way the music takes over for a while before he comes back in, with perfect timing, just near the end there. Very Santana-style guitar there on “Kyoki” and really a totally enjoyable experience all through the album, which I hadn't expected. Really impressed.

Check out more from this artist? Yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: