Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #1600 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Wrangled
Artist: Angaleena Presley
Genre: Country/Americana/Outlaw Country
Nationality: American
Release date: April 21
Position in Discography: Second solo
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No but I love Pistol Annies
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? A little
Average RYM Score: 3.19
I've already enjoyed Miranda Lambert's breath-takingly beautiful solo album The Weight of These Wings from 2016, and I've loved both the albums from Pistol Annies, so a solo effort from another of that band should be right up my street, hence the high expectation. I also need some proper country after enduring what Alee laughingly terms it. Unsurprisingly, I love it from the first track, the dour and maudlin “Dreams Don't Come True”, and it's low-key, downbeat country of the very highest tier all the way. This is how to do it. Country ain't about singing about girls, or boys, or even gettin' drunk (well, yeah it is, obviously) – you got to get to the soul (Alee!) if there is one, and then kind of rip it apart while downing ten Jack Daniels. Bottles, not glasses! The dark piano on “Only Blood” is ****ing chilling.

Bit too much rockabilly in “Country” though, and I can't say bringing Yelawolf in on it works really, but it's a small (though annoying) blip and we're back to quality with the title track, kicking on with “Bless My Heart”, though the slightly Mexican-tinged “Outlaw” is something of a disappointment: bit limpwristed and weak I feel. That notwithstanding though, what I love about this, and the Pistol Annies albums to a slightly lesser degree, is the note of bitterness that runs through them. This isn't good-time, honky-tonk country, this is get-the-****-out-of-my-face-before-I-get-my-shotgun-from-my- pickup country! “Cheer Up Little Darlin” features narration from the legendary Guy Clark, and it's good to see her two sister Pistols adding their vocals to the album.

Overall, pretty much what I expected, and another great addition to the growing Pistol Annies extended discography. Eat it, Alee!

Check out more from this artist? Yup
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: