Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Classics: John Coltrane - Sun Ship
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

First time hearing the album. I could tell within the first five seconds this album going to be good. I also could tell Elvin Jones was on drums too.

What piqued my curiosity about John Coltrane was Jimmy McGuinn citing him as a influence. It took a few years. One of my favorite song by him was Mr PC which I found on a compilation that was Jazz: A Film by Ken Burns.

I wasn't till I got a better computer a few years ago to watch him play live on YouTube. I was mesmerized by seeing John Coltrane play Favorite Things live. I would come home and watch the video only to find that would be taken down by YouTube for whatever reason. Then after some time pass I look to see if it was posted again by someone else. I completely loosing track how many times I've seen in total. So while I never see John Coltrane play live on stage it was sufficient for me to see him play even if it is a video upload of a video tapping of a broadcast of a live performance.

Sometimes I wonder if the connection between the performer and the audience gets lost when we only hear a recording of music not see a person perform. I am not saying the music is less effective, but is lacking something quintessential like the person-to-person experience of the musician to the listener? I don't hear a bunch of notes being played, I hear John Coltrane playing.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 01-18-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote