Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #5914 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Pretty much. You do need to be more or less up on your English politics (though they do world ones too) to get most of the jokes, but it's a hoot. I remember the late Bruce Forsyth hosted it once. I don't know if you know him, but he was big in the seventies and eighties, and one of his best-known catchphrases to the audience was "Nice to see you, to see you nice!"

So anyway, he was talking about the invasion of Iraq and he said "George Bush keeps telling us that Saddam Hussein has all these WMDs. Well, it would be nice to see them, to see them... (audience roars) NICE!"
That reminds me of those ****ty sitcoms where they'd fill in a space where a joke should go by using a contrived catchphrase that the audience liked more through being beaten over the head with it than it having any comedic value, as if they were Pavlov's dog and laughing to get their treat. Not that this sounds in any way similar.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.

Last edited by The Batlord; 01-18-2018 at 09:16 AM.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote