Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Classics: John Coltrane - Sun Ship
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 12:07 AM   #26 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paedantic Basterd View Post
Hopefully my rating doesn't anchor this album down unduly, but this was not for me. I found this stressful to listen to. Not good-stressful like Giacinto Scelsi or Chelsea Wolfe. Stressful like I was being subjected to an unpleasant stimulus that I could not end and could only wait out. This is not my first avant-garde jazz album, but I've probably heard fewer than ten. To be fair, I understand that avant-garde jazz takes a trained ear to appreciate, and that a significant amount of its value is in the musical theory and technical details, but as someone who listens to music and doesn't play it, I simply found it a mess to listen to; unpleasant and frustrating chaos that felt like work. I have not thrown in the towel on jazz, but this is not what will be my eventual gateway album. Mea culpa.
Exactly how I felt listening The Fall and a couple of other albums I had to listen to the last couple of weeks.

If you want a Jazz album ease into the genre then I would highly recommend Moonlight in Vermont by Johnny Smith featuring Stan Getz on sax. I love that album dearly, it is one of my all time favorites.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote