Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Classics: John Coltrane - Sun Ship
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #40 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
The point I'm trying to make is that I may be into [insert artist here] and think they're the greatest thing ever, but even I would know there would be people who would not appreciate iah, and I would accept that. To say you only accept top ratings for anyone's album, no matter who they are, is, to be fair, and honest, musical snobbery. How do you know how other people feel, especially those not into jazz?
Those people can go get ****ed if they're going to dismiss an album like this for not being pop music or directly aligning with their tastes. You could write a thesis on why this album is absolutely perfect both from a musical theory standpoint and from the viewpoint of an uninformed listener. This isn't just an album with a song that people like from the radio, this album is a goddamn musical revolution.

Quote:
Mind you, I should point out that I have not yet listened to this; I may, but some of the reviews have warned me that it will not be something I would personally like. I did hear a few Coltrane tracks and liked them, but within anyone's discography has to be the potential for some albums that will not necessarily appeal to everyone.
Coltrane has dips in his discography but this album is certainly not it. Appealing to everyone is a ****ty goal anyways, I'll gladly inform people not into it that they're wrong.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote