Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you wearing today?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2018, 01:13 PM   #359 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
In my experience the rate of VAT when selling personally (including package and posting) on Ebay is set according to the value of what your selling.

For instance;

LDS PA: I paid around £45 in VAT
Peavey Dual 400watt PA: I paid just over £60 internationally in VAT

The added amount is most likely dependent on international postage, can't remember what the cost attributed to on my statement though.
No that's absolutely not how it works. I worked for thirty years almost in a freight firm and had to calculate VAt all the time. The VAT rate is set. If you are importing into the country, it's that country's rate - the figure is calculated on what they call the CIF charge (Carriage, Insurance and Freight) which takes into account the freight cost to get it to your country or the FOB (Freight On Board) which doesn't. In that case, freight has to be added. If you're exporting, then it's based on that country's import VAT. There is no gray area here. You pay one rate of VAT. That's it. Neither Ebay nor anyone else has any right to charge you anything other than the current rate of VAT for your country. If they did, you should query it.

Edit: the figure can vary, depending on them, but the RATE MUST be the same. Always. No exceptions. Some countries have different rates of VAT (like, we have a lower one on children's clothes) but it HAS to be ONE of those. They can't make it up based on arbitrary rules.