Music Banter - View Single Post - Machine Reviews Every Album He Listens To
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 03:05 AM   #22 (permalink)
Machine
moon lake inc.

entry 8

weekly roundup week 1

Hendo - lofi beats from the 2018 debut by Hendo
Genre: Experimental Hip-Hop, Instrumental Hip-Hop
Release Date: January 17th, 2018

This is some pretty ridiculous experimental hip-hop by the guy on rym I checked out earlier this week. The drums are so heavily reverberated that they don't even register as a beat half the time. The samples are incredibly warped and the entire project just has this eerie feeling to it that I can't really put my finger on. I'm really excited to hear the full release of this EP when it's done this year because from what we have so far I'm impressed. If you're looking for some thing like cLOUDDEAD (he samples them), Ugly Mane's instrumentals, or Coin Locker Kid definitely don't let this slip through the cracks this year.
6/10

natriums - Deja Vu
Genre: Minimal Techno, Downtempo, Ambient Techno, Outsider House
Release Date: January 7th, 2018

Alright I'm gonna gush about this one for a moment. This is easily some of the most outrageous techno I've ever heard. Now... is it the best? **** no. But this is so meticulously put together I can't imagine how long this took to make. The tracks range from your standard Minimal Tech affair to more courageous experiments with acoustic instruments and electroacoustic music. There's even tinges of modular synth and analog in a lot of the synth tones here which I think is a welcome touch. Morphogenic will most definitely be my tracks of the year along with a few others. I need to give this thing some listens, but what I have gotten is a damn fine album with some damn fine work put into it. (THIS was also made by someone on rym)
7/10

Cupcakke - Euphorize
Genre - Trap Rap, Hip-House, Hardcore Hip-Hop
Release Date: January 5th, 2018

Holy **** this is bad. Not like just kinda bad. I mean HOLY **** this is bad man. The lyrics are being praised as being so forward thinking and sex positive, but it comes off as a stew of S.T.D's on record. Her flow is nothing to write home about and the beats are F-tier levels of EDM synths and generic trap. I couldn't ever imagine listening to a single track from this **** again. And I mean that. There was not a single moment that saved this thing from complete disgust. To put it this way the production was 4/10 and that was the best part of this **** heap.
2/10

Scallops Hotel - Sovereign Nose of (Y)our Arrogant Face
Genre: Experimental Hip-Hop, Abstract Hip-Hop
Release Date: January 1st, 2018

Alright so I've always put off Milo because of his reaction to NOTM by Death Grips, but seeing as I'm trying to actually keep up in 2018 I figured I'd give his new mixtape a chance. It's really damn good. His flow has this weird wonky mood about it, like he knows how to flows, but just actively disagrees with the beat on a philosophical level or something. The lyrics on this re great even despite the fact I disagree with the politics, I especially loved this line "And when I punch Nazi goys they say oy vey, enjoy hey". That's just absolute genius man. Like say what you will about public violence against your political "enemies" or whatever, but that's just amazing. The beats on this thing are off kilter, but not in some avant-garde CLK way, in his own idiosyncratic style that makes this uniquely his.
7/10

Devil's Elbow - Eagle On The Hill
Genre: Glitch Hop, Lofi Hip-Hop
Release Date: January 2nd, 2018

This is so boring. I couldn't really tell you anything about it beyond the constant clipping of the beat EVERY SINGLE TIME a kick drum plays. That's a little annoying.
4/10

Venetian Snares -She Began to Cry Tears of Blood Which Became Little Brick Houses When They Hit the Ground
Genre: Flashcore
Release Date: January 11th, 2018

I don't know if any of you are familiar with Flashcore, so basically what it is is this extreme conclusion of IDM where you have almost nothing beyond near arhythmic drum patterns and amelodic effects. That's almost entirely what this album is beyond a few synths here and there. The first few tracks had me completely hooked because I love this kind of **** man, but as it went on it got more and more monotonous. By the end I actually didn't realize it wasn't playing anymore, that's how zoned out I was. The modular patterns are pretty extreme and it might reveal itself upon closer listens, but I really have no interest in doing that. Really a shame too because Traditional Synthesizer Music and Thank You For Your Consideration we're both absolutely phenomenal albums.
5/10

Sober Drunks - Omnimusic
Genre: Experimental Rock, Avant-Folk, Avant-Prog???

Spoiler for big pic pic:

Alright now for the one y'all have been WAITING for. The new Frown album, the new "Mr. Avant" album guy. And yes I do know this is you and your friend Frown, but for all of our sake this is a Frown album. And well... yeah it's pretty good. This is 40 minutes of mind bending ****. From off the wall free improv to tightly structures and highly melodic Post-Punk and Experimental Rock. From all I can tell having heard most of Frown's music, this is probably his most accessible and I actually think this benefits from that. A lot of his music can be meandering to the point of tedium for me. And while I've always found the merit in his music (unlike some of his more outspoken detractors) I always found it hard to be completely on board either. This album marks a shift there for me, see I think Frown could pull off a truly great experimental/art rock album if he really wanted to and I think he should. Or at least try. Write some cool ****ing avant-prog/art rock songs and get yourself in a studio for a couple days I'm ****ing TELLING you man it'll come out great. My only real problems with this are that it really does meander in some places and a couple sections feel unorganized.
6.5/10

END OF PART 1
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote