Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "September Winds" by Evan Parker, Hans Anliker, Reto Senn, Peter A Sc
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
OccultHawk
one-balled nipple jockey

Evan Parker’s career is so prolific and so consistent his work and distinctive style can seem like a singular entity and while it is important to take his albums individually and with awareness about who he’s collaborating with you can also rest easy that his name comes with a guarantee of quality. Two albums besides this that are definite stand outs for me are The Trees and The Science Set. This album placed itself in my consciousness a couple years back when Frown pointed it out as one of his faves.

The footsteps Parker (sometimes) follows, Coltrane and Sanders at their most intense and sacrificial is an extraordinary tradition to follow. Especially, if like Parker, your goal isn’t imitation but rather to start from there and to push the pedal to the metal. His circular breathing technique, which I figure Nea is referring to with the didgeridoo comment, allows him to push his playing into uncharted brutal playing. On the other hand, he tends to be very deferential to his band mates in the tradition of great jazz men. He’s no showboat but he certainly could be.

There’s a taste of what he can do on Insects Part 1. He lets it rip again in Sagssolo.

This album, devoid of percussion, is to me, almost as classical as it is jazz.

Unassailable of course. Highest 5/5 work of absolute genius.

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote