Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #1663 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Meeting of the Waters
Artist: Animal Collective
Genre: Experimental Pop
Nationality: American
Release date: April 22
Position in Discography: Ninth EP; nineteenth overall
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? More than I would wish to be
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 3.31
Everything I've heard from these guys to date I have either hated or shrugged at their popularity, so I'm not expecting much from this latest EP. And as it begins there are some basic sounds, (after some moments of just silence) then someone strumming an acoustic guitar, birdsong, someone moaning – you know, the usual thing AC seem to do and that people seem to wet themselves over. Not me. I don't like this stuff. I don't get it. If it was up to me, I'd never listen to another AC recording for as long as I lived, but it's not, and here we are. At least there are only four tracks on this, though I see to my dismay that the opener is over thirteen minutes long! This will be fun.

Apparently this was all recorded live in the Amazon rainforest. The ambient sounds are cool, but to be honest I'd rather listen to a recording from the forest than this music, such as it is. “Men of Oil” does at least have some more structure, and some singing, and to be fair it's not bad. Kind of an acoustic guitar thing with sort of soft tribal percussion. Next one appears to be purely experimental – effects, effects and more effects but not much of what I'd call music really. Yeah, all this has managed to do is increase or at least confirm my contempt for Animal Collective and reinforce my disbelief that they're so highly regarded. But then, as I've said multiple times, what do I know?

Check out more from this artist? No
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? No

Actual Rating: