Music Banter - View Single Post - Guess the Song!
Thread: Guess the Song!
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2018, 03:48 AM   #949 (permalink)
rubber soul
Call me Mustard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I really can't answer that. It's an instrumental, so...

No

As I don't want to be accused of being a cheater by Plankton again, I'll tell you: it's an English song.
Why did I say no when asked if it was European? Because England has always considered itself not to be European. At the time this was written, it certainly was not, and even though they "joined" the European Union they did so with bad grace, for political reasons only and never considered themselves European. They used to refer to Europe in the 70s as "The Common Market" and "The Continent". They even kept their own money, when everyone else in the EU (or most of them) took the Euro for their currency. You Americans and Canadians may not realise this, but English people do not, and never will, consider themselves to be European. Ask any person born and bred in England if they're European and they'll frown and say "Fawk oof mate, we're English, innwe?"

tl;dr the song is English.

Yeah, that would have been a red herring considering that Americans have always been taught England is part of Europe.

So now that we know that England is the third smallest continent in the world after Ireland and Iceland (unless you count Gilligan's Island), was the song composed during World War I?
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote