Music Banter - View Single Post - Revolution #9 does anyone like it?
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 10:55 PM   #36 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ I'm going to blame my refutation on the innocent rubber soul, who speculates about Yoko Ono turning up on #9. That led me to wonder about who contributed to the track; I don't know the backstory, but if there's no other Beatle involved, which I suspect, how is it a Beatles song? Where is the Harrison guitar break or the poppy McCartney middle eight?
Revolution 9 appears on The Beatles (the White album) where the album is a collection of individual and group efforts. I am not too bothered to the point where I wouldn't considered it a Beatle song because it is mainly a John Lennon track. Yesterday was the first solo effort that made it onto a Beatles album. It is basically Paul McCartney and his Epiphone Texan folk guitar back by a string quartet. Compare it to Ruby Tuesday by The Rolling Stones where members of the band played the instruments: double bass, piano and recorder. Yesterday is not a band effort yet it is still one of the most quintessential Beatles songs. It's one of their most cover songs.

As a band they were always pushing the envelope. The Beatles played a variety of music, even starting when they were a cover bar band. They covered a show tune "Till There Was You". I don't think they deliberately picked it because it was from a Broadway musical number. It was a song Paul like. It was a song they did back in their Hamburg days, even before they were recording albums. It's not the typical Rock song with a I-IV-V chord progression, it's chock full of Jazzy chords. They set to the tune to a Latin rhythm. They did stuff like that because they were fans of music.

I think it would enviable that they eventually get into something like Musique concrète. I know it's a one-off, but that doesn't bother me I didn't see them as a band that really dwell on anything for long. The Beatles didn't stay together for long compared to other bands. When you think of their discography you can't but notice how their music evolved (along with the whole the decade of the 60s).

Tomorrow Never Knows- tape loop for the drum track
Recorded: 6, 7 and 22 April 1966
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! - cut-up samples randomly spliced together
Recorded: 17 and 20 February and 28, 29, 31 March 1967
Revolution 9 - sound collage
Recorded: May–June 1968

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote