Music Banter - View Single Post - The Instrument Recommendation thread
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 08:03 AM   #170 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
So... I'm seriously considering learning guitar. I'm much more interested in acoustic than electric, so I'd buy one of those.

Three questions for you guitar aficionados (esp. Plankton and Chula):
1. Although I'm looking for a starter, I'd like to get something of fairly good quality. What brands should I look for?
2. How much should I budget?
3. What features should I look for? i.e. strings, neck, etc.
If I were to start all over again, I'd go with something like this:

Fender Classic Design Series CD-140SCE Cutaway Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Guitar Black | Guitar Center

You'll have a great starter guitar that can also be plugged in so you can test future effects and amps, but make sure to get it set-up properly with any truss rod and saddle adjustments if necessary. Also, starting with an acoustic is, imo, the best way to develop muscle memory early on since fretting one takes a little more effort than most non-acoustics, but make sure you're learning proper technique and hand placement first:

https://www.guitarhabits.com/how-to-...-positioning/#

Like anything new, it'll feel awkward starting out but keep at it and you'll find a comfort level that will be the foundation of your musical journey. Start off proper and build that solid foundation, but most importantly... be bold and fearless in your discoveries. Good luck my young friend.