Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 01:14 PM   #5932 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Well, hell. I have a few episodes of The Orville on my SKY box, and when I saw MacFarlane himself was in it, I really wanted to delete them. But I decided to give it a chance. Now, if you're looking for something that will make you laugh till your sides ache, let me repeat one word: MacFarlane. Nobody will pretend that either Family Guy or American Dad (or, god help us, The Cleveland Show) ever approached being consistently funny. In fact, you could take a season of either show and you might get enough funny bits to make up half an episode. If you're lucky. So again, if you're looking for a show that will make you piss yourself laughing, look elsewhere. There aren't that many laugh-out-loud moments, at least in episode one and I have it on good authority that that trend continues throughout the series.

However, if you're looking for a fairly decently-written sci-fi show that pays homage to Star Trek, doesn't rip the piss out of it effectively enough but just enough to make you smile occasionally; in other words, a sci-fi show with a dash of comedy, or, to be more precise, a sci-fi show that doesn't take itself too seriously, then you might enjoy it.

All I know is that at the end of episode one I was saying "Yeah, not bad" and actually looking forward to the next one. Oh, and I managed to get past watching Mac's smarmy, self-satisfied mug. So yeah, I may stick with it. Give Mac his due: he can write (or have written for him and take the credit for) some not too bad sci-fi ideas. Could be interesting.