Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 03:01 PM   #1713 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Places
Artist: Lea Michele
Genre: Pop
Nationality: American
Release date: April 28
Position in Discography: Second
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? A little
Average RYM Score: 2.45
With a career on Broadway at an early age behind her, this is not one of your X-Factor/American Idol Jenny-come-latelys; this woman knows how to sing and has been through the whole process of being a star. Her talent is evident right from the beginning, with the powerful and soulful “Love is Alive”, and the quality is maintained throughout. My only gripe would be that she doesn't write any of the material here, other than sharing a credit on the closer; it's just me, that's one of my bugbears. Those who have seen Glee or Scream Queens will apparently know Lea, as she starred in both, and has gone on to make the natural step from Broadway to film, and she's also an author. So, a lot of irons in the fire, and it's a fire that seems to be burning brightly.

Another slight niggle is that this is basically an album of ballads. Some are power ballads, some piano ballads, but there's hardly a boppy or even fast song among the eleven tracks here. For all that though, hard to pick out a standout track, but “Heavenly” comes close, so does “Proud” and “Anything's Possible” - kind of nearly everything here really. Excellent album. Just needs a few faster numbers to bump it to top rating.

Check out more from this artist? Yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: