Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 08:43 AM   #1718 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Letterbox
Artist: Marie Miller
Genre: Country/Folk/Pop
Nationality: American
Release date: April 28
Position in Discography: Second
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? A little
Average RYM Score: N/A
There is literally no information on this in the usual places – Wiki, Discogs, even RYM. Nobody has it. A pity really, cos it's now the third album in a row by a female artist that has impressed me. “Lost at Sea” is a particular highlight, with a hurried, pounding beat and a great hook. I guess in terms of musical style I'd maybe compare this to the likes of Faith Hill; faintly country but a lot more in the pop spectrum. Certainly, I don't expect to hear any fiddles, harmonicas or mandolins. Doesn't make it bad, by any means. In fact, it's really good.

“Angeline” is a little too bouncy, happy pop for my tastes, but the exuberant “Two to One” makes up for it. I see there's a mention of her doing CCM as well; that could very well be, but I haven't seen any overt references to god or Jesus or anything, so if she does go down that road, at least on this album, the signposts are very small and unintrusive. It's very much an adult contemporary/pop kind of feel I get from this. No real country, no real folk that I can hear and if there's CCM there it's very much in the background.

Check out more from this artist? Yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: