Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 10:23 AM   #1782 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Big Walnuts Yonder
Artist: Big Walnuts Yonder
Genre: Indie Rock
Nationality: American
Release date: May 5
Position in Discography: Debut
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 3.00
Ah lord, not another goddamn supergroup! What is the point? Ain't they got enough beach-houses and BMWs? Yes, I'm sure it's all very artistic but I can only ever see any reason why people form supergroups, and it has always to do with dead presidents. Anyway, here we have members of Wilco, Deerhoof, Minutemen and Tera Melos, none of which I know but I'm sure you do. This also comes with the perhaps tentative tag of experimental rock, and I can kind of see this in the second track, “Sponge Bath”, which kind of reminds me vaguely of early The The, and certainly “Flare Star Phantom” has all the weird noises and effects I associate with noise/experimental music. Halfway through it breaks out into a kind of blasting guitar solo, which isn't bad.

I must admit I've very impressed with the guitar-centric “I Got Marty Feldman Eyes”, which is a straight rocker and riff-fest, but then I don't like “Raise the Drawbridges?” much at all, and it kind of goes a little downhill from there. All the way. I said it once, I'll say it again: supergroups, huh?

Check out more from this artist? No
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: