Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #1802 (permalink)
GD
???pp? ??snW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Holy hell! I didn't even know Blondie were still around. Debbie's voice is definitely starting to crack a little, but then she has been singing since the late seventies and went through a lot personally, so that's not that surprising. Oh wait a minute: second track, “Long Time”, and she sounds like she does on the likes of “Heart of Glass” or “Call Me”. Maybe that growlier vocal on the opener was an affectation. No, it was Joan Jett I was hearing, apparently. So what does Debbie sound like for a seventy-three-year old? Pretty damn good, really. I would say Blondie still have that knack for writing catchy and memorable pop songs, but I see most of the tracks here are written by other people. Still, she co-writes this one, and she and Chris Stein write two more out of the eleven here. Good stuff, though. “Already Naked” is another great catchy tune which evokes the spirit of seventies Blondie and even Debbie's solo material, and really there's nothing here I don't like so far.

Her voice is a little weird on “Best Day Ever” (what a crappy title) but the song is okay; if I had to choose a weak track, though, so far, this would probably be it. Been very solid up to now. Yeah, well I'm not crazy about the vocal on “When I Gave Up On You”, and though “Love Level” is a far superior song, her voice is still that kind of weird from the previous one. Odd. Then again, as I pointed out, she's in her seventh decade now, and the fourth, closing in on fifth, of her career, so I can't be too critical of her voice, which is still strong, if not quite as I remember it. The horns definitely add something to this song; not mad about the chorus though. The album finishes strongly on the last two tracks, the closer of which edges the seven-minute mark and is in fact a real standout, a great way to finish an album which is great at times, but not always.
That would be her eighth decade