Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #20968 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Cannes is absolutely>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> but the Oscars selection virtually always has at least 2-3 great films worth seeking out and it gives you an idea of how Hollywood is evolving. I think there's value on catching up on the nominations. It's not like they're must see films, but I wouldn't say the same for Cannes either.
Definitely far from all Cannes films will be good, but I've had amazingly good luck with buying movies with those Cannes palms on the cover. I don't even care if it's a winner or just a nominee. Even the movies I hated were still well made and somewhat interesting. The Oscars feature a lot more movies any given year that are just tepid, sentimental schlock.
But I guess following the Oscars will give you some sense of the current zeitgeist and there's bound to be a few good films somewhere among the nominees. I might watch The Shape of Water soon if my brother really wants to go and see it, but there's not a great amount of Oscar movies that I feel curious about. I guess that I tend to discover them a year or two later if they still get talked about by film geeks.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote