Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #1808 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Versus
Artist: Carl Craig
Genre: Electronic/Techno/Classical
Nationality: American
Release date: May 5
Position in Discography: Eighth
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: 3.06
If this is techno, it's certainly not (so far anyway) what I'd call hard techno. No thumping, pulsating beats, no squealing keyboards or dancing pianos. If anything, it's almost more ambient and kind of in an Air/CBL vein. Fourth track in is the first time harsher, bassier rhythms come in, nevertheless it quickly settles down and while it's a more upbeat track than any of the ones that have gone before, it's still very almost laid back in its way. Very catchy too with some really nice horns and a bass line to die for. The classical influence begins showing itself on “At Les” with some really nice flutes, violins/cellos and bassoons, really good stuff. Apparently Craig was one of the key influences in techno music in his hometown of Detroit, and beyond, and laid some of the foundations of what would later become drum and bass. I don't know anything about all of that, but he certainly has talent.

“Desire”, one of the three longest tracks at over eight minutes, is just amazing, and “Domina”, the longest at over nine, is beyond amazing. I don't think there's anything here I don't love. The marraige of techno (is it?) and classical works so well here it's almost frightening. Even some jazz thrown in there. Great stuff.

Check out more from this artist? Yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: