Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #1816 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: From a Room, Volume 1
Artist: Christ Stapleton
Genre: Country/Blues/Roots Rock/Southern Rock
Nationality: American
Release date: May 5
Position in Discography: Second
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? A little
Average RYM Score: 3.41
So far very good. Gritty, glass-chewin', down-to-earth country and blues with the kind of hard edge this kind of music needs. I've said it before: country music – proper country music – needs to be about the hurt, not chasing after pretty girls when you're in your twenties. **** that. **** country pop. Take it out behind the cowshed and blow it away with a twelve-gauge, then bury it where nobody will ever find it. This is the real stuff. Upright bass, mandolin, harmonica, pedal steel. Music from the heart, **** on your boots, as Waits once said. Gotta have that otherwise it's just pussy country. This ain't pussy country. And by that I don't mean a place you go to meet young ladies, Occult!

“Up to No Good Livin'” is a real standout, love the pedal steel in it, and his powerful singing comes across really well on the stripped-down “Either Way”, also on “I Was Wrong”, which is a storming blues tune. I haven't heard this kind of mix of blues and country much before, if at all. I think I like it. Nah, I love it. Cool album.

Check out more from this artist? Yep
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: