Music Banter - View Single Post - Best kind of bass guitar?
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 07:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

I bought the "Hofner Ignition Ed Sullivan Show limited edition Bass" which is the cheaper version of the bass. I guess to understand how wide the price differences can be on Hofner basses: it's more than £2,000 for a brand new German made Hofner bass or less than £200 for a used Chinese made bass. I figured because of licensing reasons it was cheaper to have Ed Sullivan Show instead of "Paul McCartney" appearing on the bass. Notice in the video he also avoids saying "The Beatles." Everything he says about the German made edition I don't have on my bass. I guess my guilt is wanting Beatles Gear and falling for marketing ploys. If I had to recommend a first bass it would be a Fender Precision bass just because of its mighty tone, but if you have to lug around a bass nothing beats the light weight and compact size of a Hofner bass. Which is the reason Paul preferred them in the early touring days of The Beatles.

The no longer available German made Ed Sullivan Show bass

Hofner Ignition Ed Sullivan Show bass:

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote