Music Banter - View Single Post - The scariest ****ing thing you've ever seen.
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 12:22 AM   #232 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MERIT] View Post
(1) I majored in structural civil engineering.

(2) The Twin towers were built to withstand plane crashes.

(3) A B-25 Bomber hit the Empire State Buulding in 1945. Anyone care to guess what the outcome was?
Which one is it MERIT? (1) and (2) above totally contradict each other. Either you really did (1), or you truly believe (2). You simply can't have it both ways. Unless the lizard Truther portion of your brain has completely taken over. If that's the case? You need help dude.

(3) I almost brought this up earlier.

Quote:
MERIT: The Twin towers were built to withstand plane crashes. As a former structural civil engineer, this case is most intriguing to me. And you all seem to not understand how buildings work.
If, as a former structural engineer, you can't comprehend the totally diametric physics involved in the 1945 and 2001 events.....

I was going to explain it from a purely engineering aspect, but found this, which says it much clearer than I could at this hour.

Quote:
The important thing to note is that although these incidents have similarities, they also have many very big differences.

The first major difference is the kind of building that the empire state building is.

The empire state building is made from reinforced concrete and other heavy building materials such as masonry. It has a central support column as well as many additional interior support columns, all made from reinforced concrete, steel and masonry.

The density (weight per unit volume) of the empire state building is approximately 38 pounds per cubic foot. The density of the twin towers: 8 or 9 pounds per cubic foot.

Why were the twin towers so light compared to the empire state building?

The twin towers were completed in 1970 and were built to optimize office space. This is a compromise. The buildings were more fragile, but had more office space per floor than older buildings like the empire state building.

The way this was accomplished is a central column of steel and concrete in the center supported most of the weight of the twin towers, with the outer walls kept in place with a system of steel trusses.

This means that unlike the empire state building, the twin towers did not have any interior support columns at all.
Simple physics.

SIMPLE PHYSICS.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”

Last edited by Chula Vista; 02-12-2018 at 12:31 AM.
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote