Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #1846 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Slowdive
Artist: Slowdive
Genre: Shoegaze/Dream Pop
Nationality: English
Release date: May 5
Position in Discography: Fourth
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? I've heard one album and loved it
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No but slowly getting more into it
Average RYM Score: 3.63
Souvlaki was, I think, the album that made me think more deeply about shoegaze and recognise the fact that the vocal is often so seemingly muddy. Up to then, I had assumed it was just bad singing/production (as with MBV, yeah yeah I know). So I've been looking forward to doing this one. It's their first album, I'm somewhat surprised to hear, in twenty-two years, and some people have remarked it's not as good as previous efforts. I can't comment on that, as I've, as I say, only heard the one album and that several years ago, but I do remember loving it. So far, there's nothing I don't love about this one either. I think – and I'm only relying on my faulty memory here so I could well be wrong – that this seems to be a moderately faster album than Souvlaki, which was mostly slow songs I think. Just as good though.

“Sugar For the Pill” is the first song where they really slow down, and really there's not a bad track on this. Another triumph, and I look forward to hearing more of Slowdive's music. Worth waiting two decades for? Hell yeah.

Check out more from this artist? Yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: