Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #1856 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Thuto
Artist: Cassper Nyovest
Genre: Hip-hop/Trap/R&B/Kwaito
Nationality: South African
Release date: May 7
Position in Discography: Third
Estimated Rating:

Familiar with this artist? No
Familiar with the genre or subgenre? No
Average RYM Score: N/A
I like the group vocals and the sense of soul in this, but somewhat disappointed to see too many guests as usual, which makes it hard for me, as a hip-hop n00b, to be able to judge this guy on his own merits. But from what I can hear, he goes from angry spitting (“I Wasn't Ready For You”) to deep soul (“Destiny”) though how much of either song is him and how much his guest singer/rapper I couldn't say. “Superman” is a great song, a tribute to his dad, “Nyuku” may be (I'm only making a slightly educated guess) the genre called Kwaito; it's certainly very tribal. Interesting. “Tito Mboweni” may be another, but “Top Shayela” is annoying, just a conversation and nothing else.

“Touch the Sky” has lots of soul and gospel, with samples from MLK's famous speech, but the album loses me a little after that. Not that the songs are necessarily bad, they just don't make the same sort of impression on me that some of the others did. Still a decent album.

Check out more from this artist? Maybe
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: