Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Day
Thread: Your Day
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #48550 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paedantic Basterd View Post
I need to teach two guest classes on research methods. Got my slides together, got my notes, but panicking and convinced I don't know anything.

Can't practice it because the lecture is almost two hours long and ain't nobody got that kind of time, so largely need to wing it and rely on notes and the power of love.

Ef.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I’d prepare a couple of emergency spares like one of those things where they group up and you give each group a question or concept to consider and then they share their conclusions with the class.

Maybe even something corny where the students do some kind of on the spot research like if there’s any correlation between the clothing they’re wearing and their involvement in organized sports - or whatever

Sounds lame- is lame

But if a long lecture really starts to bomb it’s good to have an escape plan instead of just sweating it out. You don’t have to use it if things are going well but some kind of activity based emergency escape plan might be a good insurance policy.
^ Yes, that's good advice from OH. Those sit-round-in-a-small-group activities are usually very welcome by all concerned, just to have a change of emphasis for a while.

Lists can also be useful; if you are presenting seven types of blah blah blah, ask the audience to work in pairs and guess what they are beforehand. Or in pairs again, you can ask them to rank things in order; reliability, importance, chronology or whatever. The main point really is to give people a chance to fidgit and let off stream by confiding to each other - either that they know it all already or that they're completely lost.

Good luck!