Music Banter - View Single Post - The Saturday 6-Pack
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #7422 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
The songs are meh but have moments of being legit good. The animation style tries too hard to be angular, and ends up being lame. The voice acting is fine and Danny Devito is... fine. Hades is legit great, but is less a villain than a showcase for how fun James Woods is. I'd agree that in hindsight that Hades is better than Genie since, well, let's be honest once you're over a certain age Robin Williams just isn't that funny (and I'd definitely argue that Aladdin has aged rather badly because of it, but it was at least fresh at the time it came out). But Hades still feels like leftovers because of it.

The hydra part was... okay as a showcase for CG cel animation, but as far as Herc as a hero, he was entirely generic and forgettable. Likable, but not memorable.

Oh hell the **** no. Gaston is by far the most fun of any Disney villain. He's just so delightfully vain and moronic that it makes him somehow more inhuman as a villain so long as you're not bent on taking him too seriously. His villain song is not about making him seem more evil, just more hilariously douchey, and that makes him all the more fun. Not to mention it turns the generic (at the time) Disney hero on its head, by making him too perfect, too handsome, too desirable. So therefore there must be something seriously wrong with him. Seriously, go watch the Gaston villain song again and tell me it isn't one of he best things Disney ever did.

And to add on to that, count on one hand how many times you've met an ******* who acted like James Woods. Now count on your other how many times you've met one who was the embodiment of what your peer group valued but who turned out to be an entitled *******. That's the genius of Gaston.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote