Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 08:04 PM   #14715 (permalink)
SmokeAndMirrors
Music Addict

Standard musical formats bore me. Of all of formats, I favor sonata format. However in part because I find it difficult to write in sonata format. But, when I go to write my own music, like away from my band, my solo work almost always is written in sonata format. It's just what feels comfortable to me with writing. I like the challenge it brings me, it makes music that much more of an intimate experience.

Another unpopular opinion: I'd honestly rather have someone walk in on me having sex, than have someone walk in on me writing or practicing music. The difference to me is that I can go back to having sex, even if it's later. But once my musical focus, the light that comes from the creative spark, once that's gone, it's gone. When I was younger I'd snap at people for breaking that focus, and get irate. I didn't realize that I did that at the time, either, until someone pointed it out to me. It still irritates the crap out of me but I've learned to keep my tongue behind my teeth about it, because people typically don't understand that unless they're musicians themselves in some way or another.