Music Banter - View Single Post - The English Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 03:11 PM   #6895 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Quote:
think they were one of the first to break transfer price barriers and sign up players in the tens of millions, though I can't be sure about that. It just always seemed that, in the 90s and early 21st century, any big-name, big-price player was being bought by them.
They did. But it was self generated income put back into the team, I have no issue with that.

Quote:
Sure, it's a case of buying the title, but I remember when City were looked down and sneered at by United (and other) fans, and I say fair play to them that they've risen to the top.
I'll go as far as saying for the pre Abu Dhabi MC fan, I'm kind of happy for them that they have enjoyed some success after such a long time of seeing their neighbours dominate. But I can't say 'fair play' to the club because I don't like how they've done it. Imagine you play Football Manager and mess with the in game stats and inject £5bn of cash into the club to buy who you want simply so you can win the game. That's actually what they did but in real life.

Though at least MC have always tried to play attacking football so there is that, I can respect that bit. This current side will be looked at favourably by neutrals in the same way Arsenal's '04 side was, or the '99 MU team. A good team to watch for neutrals. Chelsea have never really done that imo except for maybe the year Conte won it, despite having an unlimited amount of cash.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote