Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 03:01 PM   #9899 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I don't think that comforting victims of tragedies is a necessary function for the president tbh. It just feels empty.
^ Not the most important part of their job, of course, but it's still expected of a head of state. Any time there's a tragedy that impacts a whole nation, the head of state steps up to speak for the people, expressing sorrow or sympathy. A frivolous analogy might be the way the boss of a workplace makes a speech at a retirement party.

It's also a chance for heads of state to learn a bit of humility by meeting, honouring and talking, both to and about specific ordinary citizens, regarding them as more than just voters to be wooed. It's a real showcase of a President's charisma and empathy as well, and they get it wrong at their peril, as happened when the Queen misjudged the public mood after Lady Di was killed. She had to endure some of the worst headlines of her entire reign. The only one I still remember said, "Show us you care, ma'am" which is pretty ludicrous at one level, but that's how many people felt at the time: cheated because they didn't have a mourning figurehead on tv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
.....elements of my personality such as sexiness, pretentiousness, sense of humour, or intelligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Not going to debate the others, but I've got you stone cold on sexiness.
^ At last the rivalry between Chula and Frownland is getting down to fundimentals: it's always been about who has the biggest penis.

And, yes, back on topic, I agree with TH and OH: Trump is just creepy, with his deadpan, off-to-the-side, autocue pronouncements.