Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Map to the Treasure: Reimagining Laura Nyro" by Billy Childs
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 03:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
A few of us are fans of songs by Laura Nyro. I can't speak for everyone here, but rubber soul made it apparent he likes her too. So you can look at it that our interest intersects with Laura Nyro. However we come from two different directions. You coming from the tribute album and a few of us from the singles by bands like The 5th Dimension who performed her songs. Alison Krauss is a favorite of mine, and I guess you enjoyed her rendition, though I'm not certain. Anyway, there are some things in common.

I like Laura Nyro's music, even though I only have two albums yet. I started getting into it early last year, along with a lot of other singer-songwriter material. And yes, I enjoy all songs on Billy Child's album, no matter the singer, although I have my favorites. I personally thing New York Tenderberries with Renée Fleming on vocal is amazing.
A lot of these singers, I don't really know much about, but this album prompted me to start and look into their own albums.
I've never heard anything by 5th Dimension, but this would be a good time to check them out - and not just their Laura Nyro cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I doubt if anyone here likes 10% of the artist I like.
It would be interesting if one could somehow figure out how much of a cross section there is between each member on MB.

There are some general ways in which I find MB's reaction to music I like alienating, though. Not least the way in which it seems barely anyone on here enjoys a trained singer, but mocks them instead, seeming to prefer varying degrees of moaning, shouting and half-talked off-key rambling in place of "real" singing. I can get on board with all approaches, but I love full on, skilled, expressive singing. No faster way to see a singer mocked in here than it being someone who actually, really capital-S "Sings".
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote