Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you Writing now?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 05:27 PM   #590 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
Just finished reading it all back to myself, fixing all of the inconsistencies.

I definitely never ever ever want to write another novel. Just short stories from now on. It takes a certain kind of insanity to sit down for months and focus all of your attention on telling a long form story. The only reason I saw this through is because by the time I realized that the story wasn't gonna let me finish it in just a few sittings, it was too late to turn back.
I guess it can depend on your preferences, or your - I don't want to say ability, but ... ah, proficiency? No, that's not right either. What I'm saying is that I, for example, prefer longer material because I tend to get deeply into character and plot development, often to my detriment, as one or the other (or both) run on into avenues they were either never destined to, or were, but not by me. I mean, one character in my novel was not even supposed to be anything other than a faceless bit-part-player, and she made herself into the second heroine of the book, almost. Not that I'm complaining: it gave me tons of new material and a whole different direction for parts of the plot. But when I try to write a short story, it usually expands, as you've seen here, into something of almost a novella. I'm not good at doing short.